Voghera - Former cavalry barracks “Zanardi Bonfiglio”
Total GIA45.060 m²
Timing5/6 years from the start of the procedure
The project deals with the functional recovery of the former cavalry barracks “Zanardi Bonfiglio”, a building of historical value constructed around 1860 and a main point and grandiose example of military architecture of the time, situated near the historical center of the city.
The project idea deals with the recovery of the currently unused parts of the building in the North courtyard that can be turned into public services, and the transfer to investors of some parts facing the South courtyard. Furthermore, the realization of underground parking is planned for both courtyards.
Voghera is the main town of Oltrepò Pavese, in the Province of Pavia and is an important rail and road hub as well as a renowned wine producer. It is the third most populated town in the province, after Pavia and Vigevano. It is located 30 km
south-southwest of Vigevano, on the Staffora (a tributary of the Po). The town’s main attractions are the Castle, Palazzo Gounela (the current Town Hall), the large Cathedral of Saint
Lawrence (built in the 11th century), the church of St. Joseph, with a noteworthy Baroque façade, and the church of Sant' Ilario.